Monday, September 15, 2014

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn."

Well summer is over and fall is here and I guess that made me nostalgic for school... but I do not want to go BACK to school just yet so my life has taken an unexpected (or maybe expected/predicted by some) turn toward teaching!

But more on that later, first of all, where in the USA AM I these days?!? ...If you find yourself asking that question a lot (even my siblings are guilty of it at times) it is TOTALLY understandable as I seem to change addresses, states, and locations more frequently than Russia gets hit with sanctions.

Well let me clear up the confusion! Right now I am in Myrtle Beach, SC and (WAIT FOR IT) I will be here for at least a year because I just accepted a job as a Preschool Teacher in the 3 year old class room at Belin Creative Learning Center which is associated with the United Methodist Church. 

Additionally, If you are confused about where I was the last 5 years here is a recap:


  1. 2010 Graduated from APU (Azusa, CA)
  2. 2010-2013 I lived and worked as a nanny for the Song family in/around Boston, MA
  3. September 2013 I moved with boyfriend Ben to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (for his work)
  4. In February 2014- August 2014 I lived and worked with the same Song family in Ann Arbor, MI
  5. And a few weeks ago September 2014 I returned to Myrtle Beach, SC


What's next? 
Right now I am currently in the process of applying for Teach for America! If selected I would be placed in one of 10 cities I list and in either an elementary, middle school or high school class room.  Teach for America offers compensation, student loan benefits, and scholarships for Master's degrees in education in exchange for working/living in an inner city area and working with lower income families and school districts. If selected I would start teaching Fall of 2015 and commit to the program for 2 years!

Lastly, this summer in Ann Arbor Michigan was amazing! 

Definitely one of the best of my life. I made so many lasting friendships and salsa danced a TON! Saying goodbye to the Song children was hard, but I know it will only be temporary because they will be apart of me for ever! Some of the highlights from this summer were:
  1. I ran my first 5K! (Color run woot woot)
  2. I went inter-tubing on a river at NIGHT!
  3. I salsa danced 3-5 nights a week
  4. I got to hold my new niece in California: Caroline <3
  5. I threw my friend De a glow party
  6. I got to be in my little sister's wedding! (and gained a brother)
  7. I drove 14 hours to and from Michigan by myself!
  8. I saw the Song girls in "The King and I"
  9. I saw "The Book of Mormon" in Detroit
  10. I did a Rueda Flashmob in downtown Detroit
  11. I taught Emi Song (4 years old) how to swim



It was a great summer and I know this next chapter will be great as well!!


No comments:

Post a Comment